The PhD degree is also offered in Counselor Education.

The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Programs (CACREP), a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Commission on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), has conferred accreditation on the following degree programs: Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA), School Counseling (MA), Rehabilitation Counseling (MA), and Counselor Education (PhD) degrees. The Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE), also recognized by CHEA, has conferred accreditation for Rehabilitation Counseling (MA).

See the Admission Criteria section of this catalog for more information.

Admission Requirements

Cohort admission decisions are made annually. Regular admission to the Graduate School is the initial step for those seeking the doctoral degree. Statement of purpose and letters of recommendation consistent with goals of the program, entrance exam scores (300 or above on the GRE or at least the 50 percentile on the MAT), and a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale are needed for regular admission.

An applicant for doctoral study must:

  1. possess a completed master's degree in Counselor Education
  2. when necessary, complete supplemental master's-equivalency courses to comply with the CACREP-accredited course of study for the master's degree
  3. successfully complete a pre-admission doctoral interview for formal pursuit of the doctoral degree in Counselor Education

Course credit in post-master's study may be used to fulfill doctoral degree requirements only after supplemental master's-equivalency study is completed and a successful interview is conducted.

Degree Requirements

Degree requirements are noted on the official Plan of Study for the various degrees/tracks. These documents are available from the chairperson or administrative staff for the department.

All doctoral students must have a completed Plan of Study approved by the Graduate School no later than the semester during which the student will complete 30 semester hours of UA and/or transfer credit for the doctoral degree. Otherwise, a "hold" may be placed on future registrations.   

If later there are changes in the Plan of Study, the student submits an amended plan of study to the Graduate School at the time the student applies for admission to candidacy for the degree. Admission to Candidacy forms are on the Graduate School's website.

A department-approved Admission to Candidacy for the Doctoral Degree is submitted to the Graduate School as soon as possible after passing the comprehensive (preliminary) examination.