Early Admission

Students who have exceptionally high grades (B+ or higher grade point average) and at least a 28 ACT or a 1310 SAT (Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math) and who have strong endorsements from their high school principal, guidance counselor, and parents or legal guardians may be considered for admission without completing their senior year of high school.

Concurrent Enrollment

Students who meet the necessary requirements may attend The University of Alabama while still in high school. Students in area high schools may enroll as concurrent high school students/University freshmen. Typical students admitted to this program have a 'B+' GPA, at least a 26 ACT or 1240 SAT (Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math) and the recommendation of their high school principal or guidance counselor and parents or legal guardians. Students take coursework in areas for which they have adequate preparation and the approval of their principal and/or counselor.

Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit Agreement

The University participates in dual enrollment/dual credit programs with local boards of secondary education. Through these programs, certain high school students are allowed to enroll in college-level courses in order to earn credits that apply to both undergraduate degrees and high school diplomas. Students are eligible under the following conditions:

  1. The student must be in grade 11 or 12 or have an exception granted by UA based on the written recommendation of the student's principal and the local superintendent of education and in accordance with Alabama administrative code regarding gifted and talented students.
  2. The student must have a 'B+' average, as defined by local board policy, in completed high school courses.
  3. The student must meet the entrance requirements established by UA.

Students who are currently in high school and have concurrent college credit, or dual enrollment credit, are not considered transfer students. Students must have one official transcript sent to the Office of the University Registrar directly from each college or university previously attended.

Non-graduates of High School

Admission may be granted to non-graduates of high school who are 18 years of age and have been out of high school for a minimum of one year. Applicants must score a minimum of 510 on the old General Educational Development (GED) Test or a minimum of 150 on the current GED test and submit acceptable ACT or SAT scores. Applicants 23 years of age and older are required to score a minimum 510 on the old GED test or a minimum of 150 on the current GED test. In addition, they may be required to submit ACT or SAT scores for advising purposes.