Incoming Freshman Graduating from Schools Outside the U.S.

The University of Alabama employs a competitive admission process that includes reviewing and evaluating each application on an individual basis for an applicant’s abilities as a student and a scholar.

The undergraduate international admissions office will review the students’ transcripts within the context of the school, curriculum and country.  Successful candidates to the University of Alabama will have completed a college preparatory curriculum including:  

Language: 4 units
Mathematics: 3 units, including algebra I, algebra II, and one unit of either geometry, trigonometry or calculus
Social Studies: 4 units
Natural Science: 3 units, including 2 units with a laboratory
Other academic courses: 5 units (courses recommended are in fine arts or computer literacy, with additional courses in mathematics, science and foreign language)

To prepare for admission to the University of Alabama, applicants are encouraged to take maximum advantage of their high school experiences by accumulating as many academic units as is practical.

GPA will be calculated on ALL coursework, not just core subjects. The University of Alabama considers applicants with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale for admission. 

For academic admission, students must meet the English proficiency requirement. For detailed policy requirements, please visit:

Students who meet the academic and financial qualifications, but do not meet the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score requirement may apply for conditional admission. Conditionally admitted students will begin their studies in the English Language Institute and then enter directly into their academic coursework once they have satisfied English proficiency. For more information about conditional admission, visit:

SAT/ACT are not required for admission for students graduating from overseas schools, but will be required for applicants who would like to be considered for scholarship.  

Students requiring F-1 and J-1 visas must also send documentation in order to secure an I-20 / DS-2010

Incoming International Freshman Graduating from a U.S. High School

International freshmen graduating from U.S. high schools must meet the same admissions criteria as domestic applicants. Please review the admission requirements here.

In addition to meeting the admission requirements, international students graduating from U.S. schools seeking an F-1 or J-1 visa must submit their I-20 / DS-2019 request form and proof of finances before a Form I-20/ DS-2019 can be issued. For more information, please read the Securing an I-20 / DS-2019 page. 

International Transfer Students

Transfer in US:

To transfer to The University of Alabama from a US college or university, the student will need the current school to submit an official copy of the college transcripts either electronically or via post.  If the student has completed 24 or more credits (about 1 year of college courses), then you will apply as a transfer student. 

To be admitted to UA as a transfer student, a student must have earned an overall GPA of “C” (2.00 on a 4.00 scale) or higher on all university-level work attempted. GPA will be calculated on ALL  coursework, not just core subjects.

If the student has completed less than 24 credit hours at the university level, then the student will need to apply as a transfer student with less than 24 hours.  In this instance, we will also need to see copies of the student’s high school diploma and transcripts.  Applicants with fewer than 24 earned credit hours of university-level coursework will also need to meet the freshman admission requirements as listed above.

Please note that technical, remedial, vocational and ESL classes are not accepted.

Transfer outside US:

Any applicant with post-secondary study completed outside the United States is required to submit those credentials for a course-by-course evaluation to an accredited evaluation agency.

The University of Alabama will accept evaluations from any NACES member agency,

Applicants that wish to receive transfer credit from an overseas post-secondary institution must provide course descriptions or syllabi for EACH subject considered for transfer. These descriptions should include a list of required readings, the number of class hours required for each course, and the length of the academic term(s) when enrolled.  Since the academic departments at The University of Alabama determine whether credits earned abroad will be accepted as equivalent to courses offered at The University of Alabama, credit is awarded on a subject-by-subject basis.

Please note that admissions decisions will be made by the international admissions team, but credit transfer decisions are made by the department.  Questions regarding credit transfer should be addressed to your academic department. 

In addition to meeting the admission requirements, international students requiring an F-1 or J-1 visa who are transferring from another U.S. institution should have their SEVIS record transferred to the University of Alabama. Contact Capstone International Services for questions about this process. 

Students transferring from outside of the U.S. requiring F-1 and J-1 visas must also send documentation in order to secure an I-20 / DS-2010.

Transient Students

International transient students are international students who are currently studying at another US university, and would like to take classes at University of Alabama as a visitor. Admission as a transient (visiting) student may be granted for any term. Transient status may be granted for only one term. Students must apply online and adhere to all international application deadlines. As part of the application, all international students must submit a copy of their passport and any current visa.

Approval may be given on the basis of an official statement of good standing from the current institution’s office of the registrar, OR an official copy of a transcript showing good standing progression of academic courses. International students must also have a letter of transfer credit approval from the current institution’s immigration advisor.

Please note, all application materials must be received by the application deadline for the term applied for.

International Student Orientation and Registration

International students are required to attend an additional International Student Orientation and Check-In by the Capstone International Services office. In this check-in and orientation, the International Services office will make copies of documents for their files. Please bring a copy of the following documents:

  • Passport
  • F-1 I-20 or J-1 DS-2019
  • I-94 Arrival/Departure Record (if a student has an electronic I-94 card and not a paper card, please print a copy of the current card from;
    • Any other immigration documents
    • If there is a spouse or children, also bring their documents for check-in.

For more information about International Check-In and Orientation dates, please visit:

In addition to International student orientation, Freshman and Transfer international students should register and attend the last available dates of Bama Bound new student orientation. The last dates of Bama Bound are within the time frame that international students are allowed to enter the U.S. on their student visas. Each orientation session gives students the opportunity to learn about the University, as well as academic programs and services offered to students. Students also enroll in classes for their first term at the University. Several orientation sessions are provided each year. For more information, visit

Students who are admitted conditionally to the University will NOT register and attend Bama Bound orientation until they have completed their English language courses in the English Language Institute. 

English placement for non-native speakers of English

To ensure that new international undergraduate students have the greatest chance of success at UA, those students with low sub-scores on the TOEFL iBT or IELTS will be required to enroll in an English language course in their first semester of study.

Who Is Required to Enroll in English Courses?

• If your TOEFL iBT Writing sub-score is lower than 18 or IELTS writing score is lower than 6.0, you must enroll in the non-credit Academic Writing course through the English Language Institute (ELI) in addition to your other undergraduate courses. (Enrollment in the Academic Writing course will count toward your overall minimum full-time enrollment requirement.)

• If your TOEFL iBT Speaking score is lower than 18 or IELTS speaking score is lower than 6.0, you must enroll in a non-credit Spoken English course through the English Language Institute (ELI) in addition to your other undergraduate courses. (Enrollment in the Spoken English course will count toward your overall minimum full-time enrollment requirement.)

Exemptions from the English Course Requirement

• You are exempt from the Academic Writing course requirement if your Writing sub-scores are 18 or higher on the TOEFL iBT or 6.0 or higher on the IELTS on the writing/speaking sections or if you have completed ELI Reading/Writing 6.

• You are exempt from the Spoken English course requirement if your Speaking sub-scores are 18 or higher on the TOEFL iBT or 6.0 or higher on the IELTS on the writing/speaking sections or if you have completed ELI Speaking/Listening 6

• You are exempt from both the Academic Writing and Spoken English course requirements if you have an ELI Proficiency Certificate or if you were admitted to UA with an English proficiency waiver.

Students who are required to enroll in either Academic Writing or Spoken English courses must complete this coursework in their first year of attendance and must complete all coursework before enrolling in EN 120/EN 121.

Students will be notified during International Student Check-in and Orientation if they must enroll in either Academic Writing or Spoken English and will be directed to the English Language Institute (ELI) for placement and registration on the day of International Student Check-in and Orientation.