The Center for Academic Success (CAS) provides academic support designed to improve students’ academic performance. Programs and services are provided to help undergraduate students:
- Succeed in University of Alabama courses
- Improve study techniques
- Improve reading proficiencies
- Prepare for professional school and graduate school entrance examinations
Students may obtain program information, use resources, or talk with a staff member about services by calling 205-348-5175. The center is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. Summer hours vary.
Visit our website at cas.ua.edu for more information.
Academic Support Services at the Center for Academic Success
The Learning Resource Center
- The Learning Resource Lab provides students with access to materials and resources. Computer programs and other digitized media are available to students, as well as review materials for students preparing to take graduate and professional school entrance exams.
- Reading and Study Skills Workshops are offered to help students improve and build skill sets they need to be academically successful. Staff can also provide a study skills assessment to students on an individual basis.
Tutorial Services and Supplemental Instruction
- Review and Help Sessions are available to students for a variety of math, chemistry, and physics classes. These sessions are available for students to drop in to ask questions and seek assistance.
- Supplemental Instruction Sessions are facilitated by peer leaders and instructors. These sessions offer students the opportunity to integrate study strategies with specific course content.
- Small Group Tutorial Sessions are available to students in select courses. Sessions are peer-led and are structured to give students more individual attention.
Academic Support Programs
- Student Support Services Trio Program: Designed to assist first generation college students; students with limited incomes, and/or students with disabilities; the program provides individualized support services to help increase student persistence and graduation as well as help students grow personally, academically, and professionally. To learn more about the SSS Program or to apply online, go to http://sss.ua.edu/.
- Academic Coaching: Coaching appointments are one-on-one meetings with staff members at the Center for Academic Success. These appointments are designed to help students evaluate their success, establish goals, identify academic resources, and create an action plan to improve their academic performance.