Academic Bankruptcy

Academic bankruptcy involves a student's request to retroactively withdraw from one academic term of study because of extreme personal, emotional, or financial circumstances so devastating that it was impossible for the student to perform academically at a level approximating the usual record of achievement. Read more.

Academic Second Opportunity

A student who has been separated from The University of Alabama for at least three academic years may petition the dean of his or her college to apply for readmission through Academic Second Opportunity. Read more.

Credit by Examination

Credit by examination and credit for several types of out-of-class experiences are recognized by The University of Alabama. Read more.

Scholastic Progress Standard, Academic Status, Warning, and Suspension

In order to monitor students' progress toward the baccalaureate degree, The University of Alabama employs the Scholastic Progress Standard (SPS). Read more.

Transfer Credit

This policy statement adheres to the guidelines set forth in the Joint Statement on the Transfer and Award of Credit developed by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), American Council on Education (ACE), and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Read more.

Transfers Within the University

A student registered in an undergraduate division of The University of Alabama who has earned fewer than 45 semester hours may transfer to another undergraduate division. Read more.


A student may withdraw from or drop an individual course until the end of the tenth week of a fall or spring semester, the second week of Interim session, the third week of a five-week summer session or the fourth week of a 10-week session. After this period, students are expected to maintain their course loads. Read more.