The safety and well-being of our students, employees, and visitors is our highest priority at The University of Alabama. Please be familiar with UA’s severe weather guidelines and be prepared to quickly move to safety if severe weather occurs.
Some students and employees commute from adjacent counties. These counties may experience weather-related problems not encountered in Tuscaloosa. Individuals should take the necessary precautions to ensure personal safety. Whenever the National Weather Service issues a warning, people in the path of the storm should take immediate life-saving actions.
Personal safety should dictate the actions that faculty, staff and students take.
- Classes will remain in session until the National Weather Service issues tornado warnings for the campus. In the case of a tornado warning, all University activities are automatically suspended, including all classes and laboratories.
- Please move immediately to the shelter or best available refuge area and remain there until the tornado warning has expired.
- Classes in session when the tornado warning is issued can resume immediately after the warning has expired at the discretion of the instructor.
- Classes that have not yet begun will resume 30 minutes after the tornado warning has expired provided at least half of the class period remains.
- Encourage students in your classroom to follow these procedures by remaining in the building and going with you to a shelter or best available refuge area.
- During a tornado warning, Crimson Ride will immediately suspend operations, and the driver will direct passengers to shelter in select buildings.
Remember, when severe weather strikes and the warning sirens sound:
- Go to the nearest shelter or best available refuge area.
- Stay tuned to radio or television stations for further weather statements.
- Remain inside until the severe weather threat has ended.
If a tornado warning is issued for the campus, students, employees, and visitors will be notified using some of the methods listed below. If you receive notification of a tornado warning through any of these methods, move to safety immediately.
UA issues emergency notifications using the following methods:
- UA Alerts, which simultaneously deploys text messages, emails, and phone calls
- Campus Indoor and Outdoor PA system, located in most academic buildings and residence halls
- Social media, including Twitter
- UA home page
- Media alerts through local radio and TV stations
- Digital signage across campus
- Crimson Ride bus marquees
- Tuscaloosa County EMA siren
- Emergency Alert System (EAS)
- UAPD sirens
- UA safety app
Additional information regarding the University’s Emergency Management Program is available at: https://ready.ua.edu/. Follow @UA_safety on Twitter.