The University of Alabama School of Social Work in Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health's Department of Maternal and Child Health jointly offer an MSW/MPH coordinated degree program designed for people with career goals in community-oriented health services for families and children.

The MSW/MPH coordinated degree requires admission to both programs.  Use the links below for program and admission information for each University. 

University of Alabama Master of Social Work

University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health 

Admission Requirements to the School of Social Work

Regular Admission

An applicant whose credentials meet both of the following minimum requirements may be considered for regular admission:

  1. GPA requirement: The applicant must have an undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 overall, 3.0 for the last 60 semester hours in a degree program, or 3.0 for a completed graduate degree program. 
  2. Entrance exam score requirement: If the undergraduate grade point average is below a 3.0 for both the overall AND last 60 hours, the School of Social Work requires submission of test scores.  The applicant must have a 300 on the GRE test or a score at the 50th percentile on the MAT.  Admission test scores must be less than five years old. An applicant who wishes to be nominated by his or her department for a Graduate Council Fellowship is strongly encouraged to submit a score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test or entrance examination appropriate to the graduate program of interest

Please note no academic credit, course waivers, or credit for field practicum shall be granted for life experience or previous work experience.

International Admission Requirements

International Student Admission

International students must meet the Graduate School’s requirements for admission (see above), including the equivalent of a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. 

Test Scores: A students whose first language is not English must submit an official score report for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Pearson test of English (PTE), or must have earned a degree from an accredited U.S. college or university within the past 3 years.

  1. TOEFL minimum score is a 550 on the paper-based test or a 79 on the internet-based test.
  2. IELTS minimum score for admission is a 6.5.
  3. PTE minimum score for admission is a 59.

Note: Scores must be less than two years old at the time of intended initial enrollment at The University of Alabama.  

Please note no academic credit, course waivers, or credit for field practicum shall be granted for life experience or previous work experience.

Program Options: 42 credit hour or 60 credit hour

Advanced Standing (42 credit hour)

  • Students holding a Bachelor of Social Work degree from a CSWE accredited institution.
  • Admission requires a "B" average or better in all professional foundation Social Work courses including field education, with no more than one "C" in upper level Social Work courses.
  • Offered Spring and Summer terms only

Two Year (60 credit hour)  

  • Students who hold a bachelors degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Students who do not meet Advanced Standing criteria must apply to 60 hour program.
  • Offered Summer and Fall terms only

Applicants can find more information on program deadlines and application instructions on the School of Social Work website.

Application Fee

The application fee is $60 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and $75 for international students. The application fee is waived for the following groups:

  1. Veterans and current members of the US military (please send Angela Abrams your DD 214 or current assignment orders as appropriate).
  2. Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program students (please contact Angela Abrams for more details).
  3. University of Alabama undergraduates applying to a graduate program in the same subject area. To qualify for this application fee waiver a student must have no time break between the undergraduate and graduate program and have an overall GPA of 3.0 or greater.
  4. Applicants who have previously enrolled in Graduate School at The University of Alabama.

Applicants interested in transferring graduate credit to the MSW program from another institution or graduate program must make a formal request after admission to the program.  The request is initiated in the Graduate School with the form for Request for Transfer of Graduate CreditPlease note the School of Social Work allows a maximum of 9 hours of transfer work for the 42 hour program and  a maximum of 12 hours of transfer work for the 60 hour program upon approval by the program director. 

 Applicants can find Application Instructions on the School of Social Work website.