The PhD in secondary education primarily designed for students who intend to become researchers, usually in a higher education setting. Normally, three years of teaching experience is a qualifying consideration for admission into the PhD program.
To be considered for regular admission, applicants must present a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and a GRE score of 300 or higher. Three years of teaching are also required.
- major field coursework (CSE/CIE/CRD), 24 hours
- minor field coursework (relevant to content/discipline/subject specific/teaching field), 24 hours
- research coursework, 15 hours (minimum)
- foundations of professional studies, 12 hours
- dissertation research, 24 hours (minimum)
A list of courses that fulfill these requirements may be obtained from the departmental office in Graves Hall.
The Graduate Catalog is published annually. Students should obtain the most recent program requirements from their program advisors.